Sunday 12 October 2008

The end of an era

My predecessor Cindy Barnes finally retired yesterday. Her term of office ended a month ago but we held a "retirement" party for her at Herons Wey. One of the things we did was write a piece on everything she did over the past five years. This ranged through opportunities for all levels, setting up processes, enabling people to develop ideas and much more. The list was long and certainly not complete but gave a sense of what has been achieved.

Cindy has exceptional people skills and also, I would like to add, writes beautifully. I have been asked to write letters for various purposes over the past few weeks but can not improve on what she has already written. I hope she will continue to play a role in County, perhaps with the Centenary committee, but I am sure she will in time decide what the best place is for her. Can I wish her all the best in her (semi-)retirement.

As an aside, can I say we were again blessed with beautiful weather and Herons Wey looked quite magnificent in the autumn sunshine. Once again I am struck by how lucky Surrey West is to have stewardship of this exceptional asset. The people who care for it and love it do a fantastic job and more people should visit and find out just why we feel as we do.

No comments: