Tuesday 19 January 2010

The pleasures of letter writing

So often now we just wing off an email to someone in response to something but how rarely do we sit down and craft a letter? Maybe it is a generational thing because the Trefoil Guild are very good at writing letters and we had many lovely thank you letters after the Tea Party last year. I am not complaining now, but this contrasted to the event the next day when we got a few emails saying it was lovely but these were very few and no letters at all so far.
Following last week's rather gruelling Parish Council meeting, I have carefully drafted a number of letters addressing most of the points raised. What a pleasure it is to develop an argument and create proper sentences to explain yourself. To respond courteously and reasonably. To be clear and concise.
I write the letters then read them out loud to make sure they flow well. It may be old-fashioned and slow but it is so cathartic and creative. I also like to write the things I really want to say just to get them out of my system - and then delete them. Or sometimes I write them to my friends and we have a good laugh then I write my very proper letter.
I find this works with complaints too - you appear eminently reasonable while saying "no".
No doubt you knew all of this.

No comments: