Thursday 7 May 2009

Crayfish in the Wey and bread ovens

Today I enjoyed a belated birthday present seashore foraging in Charmouth in an event run be River Cottage (Yes, I did see Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall). Now I am not going to tell you about the day apart from to say it was good and you should go, but I did learn a few useful, but almost totally unrelated things;
1. how to build a pizza oven - so maybe we can have one on Heron Wey.
2. Signal Crayfish (the American pests) are very common in the Wey around Guildford. These burrow into river banks and undermine them and also cause the loss of our native crayfish. They are however good eating - so are there any around our bit of the Wey at HW? As an experiment, if I remember, I am going to take some bacon and string and a shrimp net on Saturday and see if I catch anything. I will also need to know if a license is necessary because if there are crayfish there it would be good to catch loads and have regular crayfish feasts - for the good of the environment, you understand.

No comments: