Tuesday 17 November 2009

Morals

Situation:

Your child has crashed your car.
The damage is noticable but not massive.
You have a £500 excess if the damage was done by an under 21 year old - but zero otherwise.
The repairs will cost less than £500.

What would you do?
  1. Claim on insurance knowing they wouldn't pay anything and potentially impacting your's and your child's no-claims discount
  2. Pay for it yourself.
  3. Get your child to pay (probably over a couple of years or through a series of chores).
  4. Say it was you and get the insurance company to pay.
  5. Not bother doing anything at all unless the damage makes the car illegal or unusable in some way.

Easy choice? What would you do?

2 comments:

Clare said...

Interesting. I had a similar incident in my Mum's car. Damage was very noticeable (side of car + dry stone wall = ouch) but didn't impact on safety/driveability of car. She phoned insurance and said it was her driving. I didn't ask her to though...Doesn't help your dilemma much though!

Hayley said...

I would like to say that I would make my son pay but I know that probably wouldnt happen ultimately out of motherly love. And so would probably end up saying it was me. But I'd like to think I'd be strong and make him take responsibility.