Thursday 3 December 2009

Centenary Service

It has been a while since I have written but there has been much to do. Rather late in the day, though, I thought I would put my thoughts down about the County Service. I will admit I had misgivings - did we want to re-inforce the view that Guiding is a church organisation? Were we going to be allowed enough freedom to make it a good showcase for Guiding? Would there be enough VIPs to make it a PR event if nothing else? The signs weren't good; a strict service format, a desire for flags and standards (actually they were beautiful), veto on our speaker because he was from Southwark, some mix-ups in the invitations....and very few Leaders or girls taking up tickets.
However, in the end it was a slick well-run service; not too serious and not too long. The Cathedral was full to overflowing with Leaders, girls and the Trefoil Guild. The SWIFT team worked the VIPs like pros and the feedback was brilliant. So thank you Val and Betty for your very hard work in trying circumstances.

No comments: