Saturday 31 March 2012

Tan - that's Welsh for Fire

I was doing some work in Wales this week and staying at a place called Abercynon north of Cardiff. On Thursday evening, because it was a beautiful day and I had been indoors, I decided to go for a walk over the hills. As I set out I noticed a plume of smoke so walked towards it to see what it was. I walked past the hotel and past a golf course when I saw, in a stand of trees a quarter of a mile further on, a fire that looked a bit big for a bonfire. So I called the Fire Brigade. Not being local I had difficulty explaining where I was but got there eventually. In the meantime the fire was spreading. I sat and watched it for 20 minutes or so when I decided I might be safer at the hotel given a golf course would be quite a good firebreak.
The next day I drove past where the fire had been - right where I had stood to call the Fire Brigade. 40 or 50 acres were now black where the bracken had burned. I was told by my client that they had had to close the railway line as the fire spread down towards it. Even in Wales it is a dry year it seems.

No comments: