Sunday 21 September 2008

No entry - dull and fruitless meeting in progress

The title comes from a cartoon in Management Today magazine and it rung a chord as I sat through a day at a meeting - one of many I have sat through over the years. We are really very poor at meeting management in Guiding. Everyone's time is precious and meetings should be held for a purpose, should achieve their objective and do so in a productive and efficient manner. Is that too much to ask? One of my District Commissioners suggested to me that meeting management is a key skill all commissioners should be taught. I would agree.

(For those who read an earlier version of this post I would like to apologise if I caused any offence.)

3 comments:

Karen Meikle said...

Hi Georgina

Don't despair completely, having come from another Guiding County I can report that in that County we are equally bad at making the best use of meetings.

The good news is that at the Commissioners Day on 1st November we have a session on Revitalising local meetings which several Surrey West Commisioners have opted to attend. It is also planned that the New Commissioner Induction programme when it is published will have a "meeting section". Also there is an optional Training Module on meetings. So there is plenty help to think creatively and improve meetings.

I think we should show that we value our volunteers by making the best use of the time they give

Georgina said...

Hi Karen

I am not despairing quite yet - if I do the best I can with the meetings I run maybe, just maybe, it will spread like a virus.
If you would like to see how I did this at the County Exec where I aimed to make most productive use of time, and what the outcomes were, please let me know. I know it is a fixation of mine but after a long day at work a cup of tea in front of the TV can be attractive when compared against going to a meeting where I have no time for supper beofre or after.

Georgina said...

Hi Karen

I am not despairing quite yet - if I do the best I can with the meetings I run maybe, just maybe, it will spread like a virus.
If you would like to see how I did this at the County Exec where I aimed to make most productive use of time, and what the outcomes were, please let me know. I know it is a fixation of mine but after a long day at work a cup of tea in front of the TV can be attractive when compared against going to a meeting where I have no time for supper beofre or after.